When subscribed to a forum (which is the
normal default), you will receive a notification for every forum
post made in sites that you have access to. These are sent
daily, within the Forum daily digest, by default.
You can change that to receive one per forum post, or one per
subject, if you prefer either of these options. Receiving
posts individually will result in more emails to your Gmail
inbox, so you may find that it becomes quite
To change this default if you wish to:
- Click on your name in the top left hand corner, of any page, and on Preferences
- Under User account click on Forum preferences
- First field: Email digest type, set No digest (single email per forum post); or Subjects (daily email with subjects only) .
- Save changes
This can be reset at any time.
- The lecturer can set tracking to be on, off, or optional in
any forum. The usual setting is Optional, which means the
student can turn it on or off.
- If tracking is on, it means the student will see unread posts
- On the main page of the site, a new post will appear
- When the student clicks on the forum link, it will appear
- Click on your name in top left corner
- Click on Preferences, and on Forum preferences under User account
- At Forum
tracking: select Yes: highlight new posts for
- Save changes
- Go to the unit site, and to the forum
- Under Administration block, and Forum administration,
Unread posts in that forum, will now show how many unread posts in a thread, under the Unread column.
- This can be changed at any time, in the same place by clicking: Don't track unread posts.
- Note that you can also Unsubscribe from just this one forum,
in this block too.
Being subscribed to a forum means you will receive notification of all posts made in that forum. You can change the Subscription default setting if you wish to do so (see below). This does not mean that you won't have access to the forum, simply that you won't get email alerts in your daily digest. We don't recommend this for your normal subjects though, as you may miss posts. Although you can still access all posts in the forum, you may forget to check, if you don't receive Gmail alerts. However, it can be helpful to unsubscribe from forums in other sites, that you are not particularly interested in, eg. the Second hand book forum in the Library site.
Complete the following steps to subscribe/unsubscribe to a
- Go to the Activities block on the right hand side of the subject
- Click on
Forums. This will bring up all the forums on
- Those that you are subscribed to, show Yes under
- Click on the Yes, to unsubscribe; this will reset it to
No. No Save button for this action.
- Click on No
to reset to Yes, i.e. to be subscribed again.
- Note also that you can set individual forums, so that you
receive each post singly in your Gmail inbox, rather than in your
Daily digest. This overrides the default setting (as
explained above) for that forum.
- Click on the link for the forum that you wish to un/subscribe to.
- Go to the Administration block on the left hand side of the page.
- Expand the Forum Administration option if not already
expanded. See image of block above, under Forum
- Click on Unsubscribe from this forum. You will be immediately unsubscribed.
- To subscribe again to this forum, if you wish to do so, simply click the same link, which now says Subscribe to this forum.