Computers: To buy, and Tabor student computers
Buying a computer:
It is not necessary to spend several thousand dollars on a new computer / laptop to study at Tabor Adelaide. A suitable Windows based computer can be found for several hundred dollars. Currently, new Apple laptops start at $1199.
Windows / PC
When buying a Windows laptop or computer, ensure it meets or exceeds the following specifications:
Operating System: Windows 7 or Windows 10
Processor: 1.6 ghz +
RAM: 1 gb - 4 gb
Hard drive: 80 gb +
Screen size: Whatever screen size suits your needs. Ensure the resolution is around 1024 x 768 or higher.
Apple / Mac
Any new computer from Apple (desktop or laptop) will be sufficient for any online tasks.
All Apple laptops and the Apple iMac's now ship with both an integrated microphone and webcam.
The following specifications are recommended:
Mac OS X v10.6, v10.7, v10.8, or v10.9
Safari 5.0 or later, Mozilla Firefox 17+, Google Chrome, or Opera 11+
Adobe Flash 220.127.116.11 or later.
512MB of RAM
Notes: An Apple iPad/iPhone, or Tablet/Smartphone is not suitable as your primary browsing device. You will be able to access Tabor Online with these devices and access content, but features such as uploading assignments, downloading audio files etc. will not be available on these devices.
Microsoft Office for students is available for an Apple computer.
Please see here for free alternatives to Microsoft Office.
Tabor Student Computers:
- There are computers available for student use in the Library (ground floor, north wing of building) and in the Student Computer Room (first floor, north wing).
- Currently, and on most days, there is no booking needed for student computers; you can use them as long as you need to. The Library computers are more for short term use; so if you know you will need more than about 10 - 15 minutes at a computer, please use one in the student computer room.
- At times a class will have booked out the student computer room, so you may find that you can't use a computer in that room from time to time.
- The Log in to the student computers is the same as your log in for Tabor Online. Your password, which you changed when you first logged into Tabor Online, will have automatically changed for logging into a student computer.
- If you have questions about using student computers, you can't log into one, etc. please contact the Library staff who will help you with your enquiry.