The Dialogue tool allows the lecturer to communicate with one
student; the student to communicate with the lecturer, or one
other student. It is similar to an email to the other
person, but all kept within the subject site. Some
lecturers use Dialogue for extension requests, for
The dialogue icon is:
To send a Dialogue message:
- Click on the dialogue in the subject site.
- Click the Create button.
- At the People drop down, find the
user you wish to send the message to and click on their
- Enter the subject and the message, and any attachments if
- Click Send, or Save draft if not
ready to send at that time.
- Once sent your message will appear as:
- The recipient will receive an email about this Dialogue
- Once the recipient has answered your message, you will
receive an email, and on the unit site, you will see, next to the
- You will also see a little blue '1' button next to the
message in the Dialogue, or however many unread responses there
- If a new message has been sent to you you will also see this
little blue button.
Note that you also see the last person to respond.
- Click on the little blue button, or on the sender's name, or
on the message to open the message fully.
- Your lecturer will close a dialogue message once they believe
it is dealt with but you can it again, and read it, via the
button, as above.
- Students can close a dialogue thread which they began,
but not one which the lecturer began. A lecturer can
also delete any thread.
To reply to a message:
- Go to the Dialogue and click on the
sender's name, or on the message line.
- A text Message box will appear below the dialogue
- Type your message, and click Send, or Save